Haverstock — Portfolio - Merton Priory Chapter HouseLondon Borough of Merton

Merton Priory Chapter House

  • Client
    London Borough of Merton
  • Value
    700k
  • Completion
    2017
From 1117 until the dissolution in 1538 Merton Priory was one of the country’s biggest and most influential monastic houses. Following the dissolution no visible signs of the Priory were left above ground and its exact location remained a mystery until the 1920s. In the 1970s archaeological  excavations by SW London Archaeological Field Team (funded by DoE and administered by the Surrey Archaeological Society) revealed the foundations of the historically important Chapter House.  The Museum of London Archaeology Service revealed further extensive foundations of the rest of the priory in the 1980’s.
MertonPrioryChapterHouse01 Merton Priory 02 MertonPrioryChapterHouse02 MertonPrioryChapterHouse03 Merton Priory 05 Merton Priory 06 Merton Priory 07